Thursday, May 25, 2017

A static new web site - Zurb's Foundation with Panini

I've been meaning to update my personal web site over the last ten years but just never got around to it. The web evolved. My site has been through basic html, custom php, custom JSP and Java filters, and one attempt at using a CSS framework called Semantic UI. The defining moment of need for change was when my web host was attacked by hackers in a DDOS attack lasting over a week.


It wasn't something I could spend a lot of time maintaining so spinning up Spring, WordPress or another unreasonably complex framework that I didn't need wasn't the answer. I had several basic requirements:

  1. Very low and easy maintenance
  2. High data use for link pages
  3. Cutting edge technology I can teach
    • CSS transpiler
    • JavaScript transpiler if possible
    • CSS/JS framework
A few requirements were worth noting as negative requirements:
  • No need for security
  • No need for tracking state
  • No need to collect data


The client-side frameworks getting all the buzz like Google's Angular and Facebook's React were slanted towards developing mobile sites and that was not where I was going since it adds so much complexity to the site. I had thought more along the lines of a serverless architecture but it looks like that is more bleeding edge. But it was simple. Or it will be at least in a few years.

I love that the WebAssembly team is moving along with a new game demo and no need to use Google Canary, but will have to face committees and meetings for probably another five to fifty years. But the end product will be a compiled client for browsers based on client-side frameworks just beginning to explore that territory.

The other framework style I decided to investigate was the static site generator. I could have static data files, static pages in template form and generate the pages as I had updates. No server side language. It's the perfect development workflow when you have no need for complex forms which is typical of a marketing site or a blog.

Jekyll was the big contender but I didn't want to deal with Ruby. Hexo seemed like a possibility but it uses ejs templating which seems so dated. I liked mustache styled templates after teaching and trying all sorts of templating styles. But I was running in circles investigating the various popular frameworks at StaticGen which ranks them and allows me to compare them easily, No solution yet.

So the next strategy was to ignore that and look at my CSS framework. It was going to be either Twitter Bootstrap or Zurb Foundation. I've had enough problems in class with getting around Bootstrap's site and using a simple template that it wasn't my first choice. And the fact that it's harder to read and has fewer JavaScript components than Foundation was why I decided on Zurb.


The thing I never noticed was that Zurb's developers use their own static site generator (they say flat file generator) called Panini with Foundation to build all their web sites. I like anyone who eats their own dog food. It's simple and uses Handlebars templating, SCSS, and either JSON or YAML formats for data. I installed it with Foundation's CLI and after two days of learning Handlebars and YAML, I was hooked. The Foundation CSS and JavaScript isn't that important to structure the site and will be added more in the future.

My pages are just simple combinations of cards for now. On a partial (included) page component, I have two Handlebars loops producing multiple cards with multiple links on them. Logic in Handlebars lets me work with data optionally. 

The responsive flow of the HTML5 multiple columns is simple and not based on any grid. I'll be refactoring the style attributes out of there eventually so I can use better SCSS style management and using much more of the CSS from Foundation but for now the default styling is adequate.

The partial page that holds the card component is only just a shell that declares the right data file and itself is included in a basic page layout template. The data is inserted when I build the file. Panini spins up a development server with BrowserSync to update the pages as I change the html (but not the data so far, I think I can tweak that though. Update - Kevin Ball of Zurb made the change to the Gulp file which takes care of this. Thanks for being very responsive!)

And the YAML data is easily understood, updated, and the schema customized just like a NoSQL style database. It has minimal delimiters and uses indentation for nesting. If you are off by one space, though, you will get some odd error messages when you try to view the page.

The final Gulp build combines all the CSS in one file, and all the JavaScript in one file so there will be minimal downloads and also does image compression.

It's a slick set of tools made as easy as possible for the flexibility that you get. I might be tacking on some JavaScript code to log sites that don't respond or collect other data especially from forms. I'd have to combine this with my local site and regenerate it again. But for now, it's fun again. Hopefully, this will last another ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment